Credit: Jose Romero / Agence France — Presse — Getty Images)
In advance of any potential tropical weather activity, The City of New Orleans, Department of Safety & Permits (DSP) advises contractors on all construction projects to take the following ten protective actions. The preventive measures represent best industry practices and standard operating procedures for weather safety and weather risk management across the construction industry and built environment.
- Remove construction materials from the perimeter of the building and tie them down. This includes smaller items such as tools to larger items such as dumpsters, portable bathrooms and event equipment.
- Secure steel frames, metal decks, planks and plywood to supportive structures.
- Provide shoring and bracing for areas under construction or demolition.
- Cover electrical equipment from exposure to the weather.
- Secure netting, scaffolding and sidewalk sheds.
- Suspend crane operations and secure crane equipment when wind speeds reach 30 mph or greater.
- Suspend hoist operations and secure exterior hoists when wind speeds reach 35 mph or greater, unless manufacturer specifications state otherwise.
- Brace and secure construction fences and check that silt fences are properly buried and staked.
- Cover dirt stock piles.
- Clear all storm drains or inlet filters on or near the construction site.
A major factor in urban flooding is debris clogging storm drains, including debris from building materials and construction waste. Storm drains near construction sites need to be free of any debris. Further, any potential wind-or water-borne building materials, construction waste, and other debris need to be either removed from the job site or secured in advance of weather systems and weather events, such as tropical storms and precipitation events.
(The above content was first published by The City of New Orleans. All Contents. “Copyright © 2019 The City of New Orleans”)
Headquartered in Cambridge, MA between Harvard and MIT, WeatherBuild® offers a suite of decision support solutions that empower contractors, owners and operators to improve situational awareness and make better-informed decisions about weather events, schedule impacts, safety risks and probable outcomes.
© 2019 Weather Build, Inc. All rights reserved.
“WeatherBuild®”, “Weather Controls®”, and “Decision Support Solutions for the Construction Industry and Built Environment®” are registered trademarks of Weather Build, Inc.
The WeatherBuild “W” logo and app icon, “WeatherBuild Solutions™”, “WeatherBuild Basic™”, “WeatherBuild Pro™”, “WeatherBuild API™”, “WeatherBuild Webhooks™”, and “Increase productivity. Enhance safety. Manage risk.™”, and “Weather Risk-Adjusted Scheduling™” are trademarks of Weather Build, Inc.