Seasonal hurricane outlook leans toward above-average activity for 2020
- 60% chance of an above-normal season
- 30% chance of a near-normal season
- 10% chance of a below-normal season
Attention all site stakeholders, project teams, and work crews across the construction industry and built environment, hurricane season is from June 1st through November 30th for the Atlantic and Central Pacific. This year, the U.S. already experienced three named storms ahead of the official hurricane season. Accordingly, the NOAA seasonal hurricane outlook leans toward above-average hurricane activity for 2020. The seasonal hurricane outlook predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.
Determine hurricane risk, identify evacuation zones, and review insurance policies
As a part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the National Weather Service (NWS), the National Hurricane Preparedness program by Weather-Ready Nation (WRN) supports readiness for hurricane season, by helping stakeholders and citizens determine hurricane risk, identify evacuation zones, and review insurance policies. Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Hurricane Preparedness program notes the “need to adjust any preparedness actions based on the health and safety guidelines from the CDC and your local officials.”
Storm surge and large waves pose the greatest threat to life safety and physical property
The five major hazards associated with hurricane include: storm surge and storm tide; heavy rainfall and inland flooding; high winds; rip currents; and, tornadoes. Of the five major hazards, storm surge and large waves produced by hurricanes pose the greatest threat to life safety and physical property along coastal areas. Further, storm surge is not limited to only the coastline, but can travel several miles inland. An abnormal rise of water generated by a storm’s winds, storm surge can reach heights of over 20 feet and can span hundreds of miles of coastline. #HurricaneStrong
#HurricaneStrong is a national hurricane resilience initiative to save lives and homes through collaboration with leading organizations in the disaster safety movement.
(Image source: U.S. Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration)
Headquartered in Cambridge, MA between Harvard and MIT, WeatherBuild® offers a suite of decision support solutions that empower contractors, owners and operators to improve situational awareness and make better-informed decisions about weather events, schedule impacts, safety risks and probable outcomes.
© 2020 Weather Build, Inc. All rights reserved.
“WeatherBuild®”, “Weather Controls®”, and “Decision Support Solutions for the Construction Industry and Built Environment®” are registered trademarks of Weather Build, Inc.
The WeatherBuild “W” logo and app icon, “Construction Command-and-Control™”, “Increase productivity. Enhance safety. Manage risk.™”, “Weather Risk-Adjusted Scheduling™”, “WeatherBuild API™”, “WeatherBuild Basic™”, “WeatherBuild Cloud™”, “WeatherBuild Pro™”, “WeatherBuild Solutions™”, “WeatherBuild Webhooks™” are trademarks of Weather Build, Inc.